Saturday, May 10, 2014

Little He Knows, Little He Sees

How I should have ended the conversation: "I don't think Jonathan has his license yet."

How it really went.

Mrs. Beth (Eric's Mom): So Sammy, what are you doing for the summer?

Me: Well, I actually don't have a job lined up so I'm hoping to use some of the free time to finally learn how to drive.

Karla: Does Jonathan know how to drive?

Me: Yeah I'm pretty sure.

Karla: You should have him teach you to drive... No seriously, he should teach you. Ask him.

Me: I don't think he'd have the patience to teach me.

Mom: Boys are always patient when it's with their girl friends.

Me: Hah. No.

Karla: Mr. B (Eric's Dad) taught Mrs. Beth. Eric taught me. My dad taught my mom. Doug taught Cindy (our cousin and her bf). Your dad never teaches you. The boyfriend does.

Me: But Jonathan's very much not my boyfriend...

Karla: Yeah well, he's the next best thing.

Eric: You should just go on a date then!

Me: That's kinda sad to be honest.

Karla: No it's not. You could do a lot worse than Jonathan Lieder.

Eric: That's the pianist right? I like Jonathan.

Me: So does Mommy.

Karla: I like him, too! I also like Evan.

Eric: I like Evan.

Karla: I like Storm, too.


The hilarious truth is, no. I can't do any worse than Jonathan. It can't get worse. Nor can it be worse than Storm. Not 'cause they're bad. But 'cause they are absolutely all wrong for me. And there is nothing worse than going back to the place that God has told you is no longer a place you should be. Especially when you've already tried to go back and realized firsthand it's no longer a safe place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Leave your low-down at the ding-dong" -- Vic, RvB